Gunmen have freed a Catholic priest, Rev. Father Mark Chimezie Godfrey, after spending ten days in their den.
Bennievibez reports that the priest was kidnapped on October 13 along Enyiukwu Road, Afaraukwu Ibeku in Umuahia North Local Government Area of Abia State.
He was kidnapped while going home after concluding a morning mass at St Gabriel, Okpururie, Afaraukwu on the said date.
In a statement released by the Catholic Bishop of Umuahia, Rev. Father Lucius Iwejuru Ugorji, the Diocese said Godfrey who was in charge of St Theresa’s Parish Umuahia, was released on Saturday.
Ugorji appreciates God for the safe return of the priest and appreciated all Christian faithful who assisted in prayers while the priest was in captivity.
Bishop Ugorji, however, refused to disclose if any ransom was paid for the priest’s release.
Meanwhile, Oyo State Command of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCS) has reacted to the invasion of the Abolongo Correctional Centre in Oyo town around 9:30 pm on Friday by gunmen who used dynamite to blast the wall.
Its Public Relations Officer, Olanrewaju Anjorin, in a statement in Ibadan on Saturday, said 837 awaiting trial inmates escaped from the Abolongo Correctional Centre in Oyo Town when gunmen attacked the facility.
Anjorin said all the 837 awaiting trial inmates were freed by the attackers, pointing out that the cell housing the convicted inmates were not vandalised.
The Public Relations Officer, however, disclosed that a total of 262 escaped inmates had been recaptured, while 575 were still at large.
“The invaders arrived the centre heavily armed with sophisticated weapons and after a fierce encounter with the officers on guard, they gained entrance into the yard, using dynamite to blast the wall.
“All the awaiting trial detainees were forced out of custody, the cells housing the convicts and the female inmates were not vandalised.
“Meanwhile, a total of 262 of the escapees have been recaptured, leaving 575 still at large.
“Following the directives of the Controller-General of Corrections, Haliru Nababa, the State Controller, Noel Ailewon, has commenced the process of search and recapture after visiting the scene of the incident,” he said.
Finally, Synagogue Church Announces Reopening Date
The Synagogue Church Of All Nations (SCOAN) has made known its reopening to all its members after 21 months of closure.
The church founded by late Prophet TB Joshua, on Friday revealed that it will on Sunday, December 5, 2021, reopen for live service.
The church added that its gate will be open for its global members who have called for live service to commence in the church.
The late founder of the church had in March 2020 suspended the regular Sunday service in the church due to the Coronavirus outbreak across the world.
TB Joshua till his death on June 5, 2021, did not commence service in the church, as he said, he was yet to hear from God.
“We will only reopen when we receive an instruction to do so from God,” he had said.
SCOAN, however, in a statement on Friday said, “There has been a lot of pressure from members globally for the church to resume services after the passing of the great man of God.
“But the church’s new leadership under Prophetess Mrs Evelyn TB Joshua maintained the position of her late husband that “the reopening of the church for normal Sunday services will only commence with the intimation of the holy spirit”.
“And that is what is now taking place. Besides, the mourning period of God’s General would have been over.
“The SCOAN has had its own fair shares of the usual leadership and succession tussles in human affairs, an avoidable situation especially in The SCOAN but for the misguided few disciples, all of whom have now retraced their wrong steps.
“A strong church member, Mr Babs Olorunwa, on the reopening said the church today has been thoroughly reorganized for better performance.
“The hand of God remains very strong upon this church with the few prayer gatherings I witnessed on the church mountain.
“I tell you categorically, God would never forsake His own. Synagogue Church Of All Nations is alive. Glory be to Go.
“The church resumption now is a response to the call of the Holy Spirit that the services begin as a manifestation of God’s anointing towards the glorification of His Mighty Name at this blessed, festive season.”
Navy frees Comedian Cute Abiola from detentionOh
Commodore Suleman Dahun, The Naval spokesperson, confirmed the development to our correspondent on Friday.
Cute Abiola was said to have been missing on Monday, November 15, 2021, when his colleague in the comedy industry, Debo Adedayo aka Mr Macaroni, raised the alarm that he was nowhere to be found after reporting at his office in Navy Town, Lagos, that same day.
2 days after the alarm was raised, Dahun had made known that the funnyman wasn’t missing but was detained for contravening the military laws by posting a video of himself in military uniform on social media, an act which is said to be in violation of the armed forces’ social media policy.
Dahun had also added that the comedian failed to show up when called upon to explain himself but only returned after the expiration of his leave on November 15, 2021, and was put behind bars the same day.
Speaking with The PUNCH on Friday, the naval spokesman maintained that Ahmad knowingly violated the armed forces’ social media policy but was given a punishment after he was tried for misconduct and indiscipline.
He added that the funnyman is no longer in the naval detention as he has been released to serve his punishment.
Court adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s case for second time, see new date
Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Thursday recessed trial of detained leader of the outlawed Indegenious People of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu till the 18th of January, 2022.
Kanu’s case was originally scheduled to be heard next year, but the court granted an abridgement of time after a motion was filed by the Nigerian separatist leader.
Justice Nyako had on November 10, 2021, adjourned the trial of Kanu till January 19 and 20, 2022, for trial.
But the court granted an abridgement of time after a motion was filed in that respect and his matter was heard today (Thursday).
BREAKING: IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu Scheduled For Emergency Hearing On Thursday, Could Be Released On Bail
The detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu is scheduled for an emergency hearing tomorrow (Thursday) that could lead to his freedom on bail.
BennievibezBlog exclusively gathered on Wednesday that the hearing could open the door for Kanu’s release on bail.
This was averred exclusively to SaharaReporters by the counsel for the Nigerian government in the matter.
It was also gathered from Nigerian government lawyers that the move is in response to the fervent appeals by Igbo leaders for the release of the pro-Biafra agitator.
“Nnamdi Kanu scheduled for an emergency hearing tomorrow that could lead to his release on bail.
“This is in reactions to Igbo elders’ request for his release,” one of the sources said on Wednesday.
President Muhammadu Buhari had said on Friday, November 19 that he would consider the unconditional release of the IPOB leader as sought by elder statesmen from the South-East.
Buhari had, however, added that such a request was a difficult option to weigh but assured that he would give it a thought.
Buhari said this while receiving a group under the aegis of Highly Respected Igbo Greats, led by First Republic parliamentarian and Minister of Aviation, Mbazulike Amaechi, at State House, Abuja, earlier in November.
Amaechi, a nonagenarian, had described the situation in the South-East as “painful and pathetic,” lamenting that businesses have collapsed, education crumbling, and fear everywhere.
He had pleaded for a political, rather than military solution, requesting that if Kanu was released to him as the only First Republic Minister still alive, “he (Kanu) would no longer say the things he had been saying,” stressing that he could control him, “not because I have anything to do with them (IPOB), but I am highly respected in Igbo land today.”
A Presidential media aide, Femi Adesina, had revealed this in a statement titled, “President Buhari to Igbo Leaders: Your demand for Nnamdi Kanu’s release is heavy. I will consider it.”
However, in his response, Buhari had said, “You’ve made an extremely difficult demand on me as leader of this country. The implication of your request is very serious. In the last six years, since I became President, nobody would say I have confronted or interfered in the work of the Judiciary. God has spared you, and given you a clear head at this age, with very sharp memory. A lot of people half your age are confused already. But the demand you made is heavy. I will consider it.”
Stressing his policy of non-interference with the Judiciary, the President said when Kanu jumped bail, got arrested and was brought back to the country, “I said the best thing was to subject him to the system. Let him make his case in court, instead of giving very negative impressions of the country from the outside. I feel it’s even a favour to give him that opportunity.
The IPOB leader is currently standing trial at the Federal High Court, Abuja for terrorism-related charges.
Kanu was illegally arrested in Kenya and renditioned to Nigeria in June.
BREAKING: Court upholds Soludo’s election as Anambra gov
Respite came the way of the governor-elect of Anambra State, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, on Wednesday, as the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, declined to nullify his election.
The court, in a judgement that was delivered by Justice Taiwo Taiwo, deported a suit that sought to invalidate Soludo’s election on the allegation that he supplied false information to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
The Plaintiffs, Adindu Valentine and Egwudike Chukwuebuka, had in their suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/711/2021, alleged that Soludo lied in the affidavit (Form EC9), which he submitted to INEC.
They alleged that Soludo, in the said affidavit attached to his appointment form, revealed that he was contesting the Aguata 2 Constituency seat, when, in fact, he was contesting the governorship seat.
More so, they told the court that an affidavit Soludo’s running mate and Deputy Governor-elect, Onyeka Ibezim, also submitted to INEC, contained false particulars considering that he stated that he was vying for Awka 2 Constituency seat.
Cited as Defendants in the suit were the INEC, the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, Soludo and the Deputy Governor-elect, Ibezim.
The Plaintiffs, through their lawyers, , A. O. Ijeri and Kelvin Okoko, argued that having indicated the wrong seat on the form, Soludo, violated extant legal provisions and ought to be disqualified.
“The constitution has made a state a constituency in relation to the governorship election, but in this case, the third defendant (Soludo) named Aguata 2 as the constituency he is contesting.
“The cause of action in a pre-election matter, by the provision of Section 285(9) of the Constitution, is determined by the date of the occurrence of the event, a decision or action complained about in the suit by the Plaintiff.
“And in the instant suit, the cause of action of the Plaintiffs arose on July 6, 2021, when the 3rd Defendant’s (Soludo’s) Form EC9 was submitted by the political party (the 2nd Defendant)”, they argued.
However, counsel for APGA and Soludo, Onyechi Ikpeazu, SAN, queried jurisdiction of the court to entertain the matter which he maintained was statue barred.
Aside from contending that the suit was filed outside the 14 days period stipulated by the Constitution, Ikpeazu, argued that error in an affidavit could not be a basis to disqualify a candidate from an election.
He argued that the false information claimed by the Plaintiffs was not among the grounds stated in the 1999 Constitution for the disqualification of a candidate.
“False information, as envisage in Section 31 of the Electoral Act is criminal in nature. Section 31 does not deal with error, but a deliberate effort to steal a match and to misrepresent”, he added.
On its part, INEC, through its lawyer, Bashir Abubakar, said it would leave the issue to the discretion of the court.
Meanwhile, in his judgement on Wednesday, though Justice Taiwo dismissed the preliminary objection challenging the competence of the suit and jurisdiction of the court to hear it, he however held that the Plaintiffs, failed to establish that they had a reasonable cause of action.
Justice Taiwo held that the Plaintiffs failed to convince the court on how the alleged false information both Soludo and Ibezim supplied to INEC, misled them.
The court held that since the allegation by the Plaintiffs were also criminal in nature, it ought to be proved beyond reasonable doubt.
It held that the suit was filed in bad faith and a good example of cases that are not geared towards strengthening of the tenets of democracy in the country.
“I am yet to come to terms on the purpose for which this suit was filed. I am saying this because I am not convinced that this action is reasonable”, Justice Taiwo added.
Consequently, the court awarded N2million cost against the Plaintiffs, in favour of the APGA, Soludo and Ibezim.
BREAKING: Fani-Kayode Rearrested By EFCC
An ex- Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode has been re-invited by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,(EFCC) following investigations into alleged document falsification.
Fani-Kayode alongside an ex- Minister of State for Finance, Nenandi Usman, is standing trial on alleged N4.6billion money laundering, before Justice Mohammed Aikawa.
Other defendants are Yusuf Danjuma, a former Chairman of the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) and a company, Jointrust Dimensions Nigeria Ltd.
They are facing a 17 count charge of money laundering preferred against them by the Anti-graft Agency.
They had each pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bails.
The trial had begun before Justice Aikawa and witnesses were still being led in evidence until Aikawa was transferred out of the Lagos division.
The charge was consequently, re-assigned to a new judge, Justice Daniel Osaigor, and the defendants were scheduled for re-arraignment on October, 27.
Meanwhile, at the last adjourned date, Fani Kayode was absent from court and the defence counsel who appeared on his behalf, Mr Fred Ajudua informed the court that he was on admission at Kubwa General hospital in Abuja.
He had prayed for an adjournment on that grounds on behalf of the second defendant
But, the EFCC prosecutor, Mrs Bilikisu Buhari, informed the court that the same tactics had always been adopted by the defendant whenever he does not want to attend court.
After going through the court’s records, Justice Osiagor noted that it was clear that the defendant had issued a similar letter of excuse five times.
The court had consequently ordered the defendant to be present in court on the next date without fail.
The court also ordered him to pay a fine of N200,000 in addition.
When the matter came up yesterday, all the defendants were present.
Counsel to second, third and fourth defendants, Morrison Quakers (SAN), and Clement Onwuenwunor, also announced their appearance.
The first defendant’s counsel Chief Ferdinard Orbih, was absent, following a letter to that effect.
The prosecutor, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo did not oppose the letter of the first defendant counsel.
Oyedepo however, informed the court that the prosecution was glad that the court had figured out from its record that the second defendant (Fani Kayode) had sought repeated excuses from the court.
He told the court that the prosecution had recently discovered that all letters sent by Fani-Kayode were fake.
At this point, the court stopped the prosecutor on the grounds that it was a matter the agency ought to thrash out before the court acted on the letters to grant an adjournment.
Osiagor said that having granted an adjournement on the letters, the court had become functus officio.
In response, Oyedepo told the court that the agency was currently working on the report and will do the needful.
A drama however unfolded after the case was adjourned until January, 24.
While Fani-Kayode was still at the corridor of the court an EFCC investigator, Mr Shuaibu walked up to him alongside the prosecutor and after some tete-a-tete, the defendant entered his vehicle and followed the Efcc operatives to their office.
The operative who confirmed the arrest to journalists, said that at the time of filing this report, Fani-Kayode was in their custody on quiz over the false documents.
In the charge, the defendants were alleged to have committed the offences between January and March 2015.
In counts one to seven, they were alleged to have unlawfully retained over N3.8 billion which they reasonably ought to have known formed part of the proceeds of an unlawful act of stealing and corruption.
In counts eight to 14, the defendants were alleged to have unlawfully used over N970 million which they reasonably ought to have known formed part of an unlawful act of corruption.
Meanwhile in counts 15 to17 Fani-Kayode and one Olubode Oke who is said to be at large, were alleged to have made cash payments of about N30 million, in excess of the amount allowed by law, without going through a financial institution.
Besides, Fani-Kayode was alleged to have made payments to one Paste Poster Co (PPC) of No 125 Lewis St., Lagos, in excess of amounts allowed by law.
All offences were said to have contravened the provisions of sections 15 (3) (4), 16 (2) (b), and 16 (5) of the Money laundering (prohibition) (Amendment) Act, 2012.
Meanwhile, in counts 15 to 17, Fani-Kayode and a reportedly fugitive Olubode Oke allegedly made cash payments of around 30 million naira, exceeding the amount allowed by law, without go through a financial institution.
In addition, Fani-Kayode allegedly made payments to a Paste Poster Co (PPC) at No.125 Lewis St., Lagos, in excess of the amounts permitted by law.
All of the offenses allegedly contravened the provisions of Articles 15 (3) (4), 16 (2) (b) and 16 (5) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) (Amendment) Act 2012.
BREAKING NEWS3 months ago
BREAKING: Popular Nigerian Politician Is Dead [Photo]
ENTERTAINMENT2 months ago
Profile: 8 Things You Need To Know About BBnaija Winner, Whitemoney –
BREAKING NEWS2 months ago
Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 22 September 2021 (Official / Black Market Rate)
NIGERIAN2 months ago
Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 27 September 2021 (Black Market Rate)
News3 months ago
BREAKING NEWS: Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 10 September 2021 (Black Market Rate)
BREAKING NEWS3 months ago
Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 16 September 2021 (Black Market Rate)
Sports2 months ago
Emiliano Martinez Dared Cristiano Ronaldo To Take 92nd Minute Penalty Before Getting In Bruno Fernandes’ Head
BREAKING NEWS3 months ago
Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today September 9, Official/ Black Market Rates